Sunday, May 15, 2011

As per the norm, it's been awhile. School is done for the summer, and as we speak I am checking my grade, which I'm sure will not be up yet. I didn't do all that great...I will never take a minority literature class again. I like the texts, but I hate, probably more than any other topic in the world, save for gum and bodily functions/ailments, talking about identity. I don't even know where my identity comes from, let alone a country that has a long history of being tortured, villainized, and interned by the great US of A. Moving on.

Literally, I'm moving. Probably July 1st. My roommates and I, at the urging of one in particular, have decided to go our separate ways. This is a big move, but one I've been thinking about for some time. I haven't lived alone since 2007, and even then one of my current roommates lived around the corner. This will be the first time I don't have any of my male counterparts within walking distance. I am both very glad and very sad about this. Glad because, you know, who, at 26, doesn't want their own space? Sad because, well, 1) it's the end of an almost decade long team, and 2) I don't have any other friends. Lame, right? I've been pretty lax in my friendship making since forever, but after The Fallout of 2009, I wasn't exactly in the mood, and now I may learn to regret that.

And more than that, I hope I learn to appreciate the friends I do have, more. I'm a very poor friend. I'm surprised people even bother, to tell you the truth. If it wasn't for my sense of humor, and middle-of-the-road advice, I suspect they probably wouldn't. I generally don't offer anything, I'm not a very good gift-giver, I'm not really emotionally available, I can be pretty judgmental, and unconsciously hold grudges in which the punishment is the withholding of any part of myself I may have given before, so most likely it will go unnoticed, which will only hurt my feelings which will then piss me off. Luckily, most people don't even get close to having to deal this particular level of, what I lovingly refer to as, psychosis.

Anyway, I looked at an apt yesterday that I was pretty much set on. It's a little out of my price range, but it has a balcony overlooking a pool, dishwasher, garbage disposal, W/D, tons of closet space, a huge bedroom, they pay heat and water, I was pretty much in, and willing to sacrifice regular food for it. But, just out of curiosity I went to look at a two bed that was $150 cheaper/mo and had two bedrooms, but is within a stone's throw of one of the GF ghettos.

The building isn't great, and when I walked in I was bombarded by the smell of pets, cats in particular, and quickly lost any amount of hope I had for this place. We walk up the stairs and the smell only gets worse as the temperature rises. I take off my shoes and walk into one of the biggest, nicest apartments I've looked at, ever, accept for the one earlier in the day. It doesn't have any of the amenities, but everything was in really good condition and it has two big bedrooms. I think I'm totally in. I'll get the carpets shampooed, because they too have a cat, but I can get over that. It's equidistant between work and downtown, and is still pretty darn close to the good movie theater, which is the only thing in Grand Forks I even care about. I like the idea of not being at my max every month, and not having to work at the hotel unless I want to. I'm going to be in grad school, and I just don't want to overdo it, as I am want to do. I'll have money to get furniture that I haven't seen every single day since I was 17. I can have one room dedicated to the part of me that still loves concert and movie posters, but the rest of it can look like a normal, 20-something, adult female who will never eat chicken wings again's, apartment.

Here's a photo of the outside, which actually does it more justice than it deserves, but look at that yellow...isn't it great or something?!

Well, I think this will do for now. I will try to go back to posting per week, if that was ever the case.

Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Ame, I think you're a good friend. I like that no matter how long it's been, we can just pick up where we left off. That's actually one of the things I appreciate most. And who cares about gift-giving? I suck at that too. Friendships aren't about gifts.

And no matter how "lax" anyone gets in making friends- post college it's hard shit. Although you're in grad school now so I suppose this isn't quite applicable yet. :)

Good for you moving out on your own though. I love it. Sometimes I get bored, but it's nice to have my own space. Don't max yourself out though with rent. Lord knows my place is expensive and I hate having to watch my pennies esp when I go down in hours for the summer. It's stressful. :-/ Good luck with the move though! Let me know if you need any furniture! I still have a bookshelf for ya :)